Before you leave Trinity after graduation, make sure to take your domain with you! There are two different ways to do this: 1) migrate your account to Reclaim Hosting and pay a yearly fee to them for hosting the account, or 2) move your account to a different hosting provider.
Move to Reclaim Hosting
Migrating a user account from Trinity’s Domain of One’s Own instance to a Reclaim Shared Hosting server is actually quite a simple process since Reclaim manages both servers.
Unless you have registered a domain name for your site (see below), follow these steps:
- Choose one of the shared hosting accounts that Reclaim offers, such as the Student/Individual Hosting plan option.
- Choose the option for “Use a subdomain from Reclaim Hosting.”
- Complete the sign-up process and pay the invoice.
- Send a support request to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following message:
Hello Reclaim Hosting Support,
I am graduating from Trinity College, Hartford, CT, and I would like to migrate my account, (your domain), to Reclaim Hosting. Please let me know if you need anything else from me.
A member of Reclaim Hosting support will respond and help you get your account migrated ASAP.
If you registered a domain name for your site (e.g., if you bought yourname.com as a way for people to access your site, in addition to youname.domains.trincoll.edu), follow this alternate Step 2:
- 2a. Choose the option for “I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers.”
- 2b. Enter your registered domain name.
Remember to update your information with your domain name register once the migration is complete.
If you would like to continue using your domain after graduation but would like to migrate it elsewhere, complete the following steps:
- Generate a full backup of your account.
- Set up an account with a new hosting platform. There are many to choose from, with various prices and services offered.
- Next, follow the instructions provided by your new hosting platform on transferring domains/migrating websites. You can find instructions for common hosting platforms below:
- GoDaddy Transfers: https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-transfer
- Wix Transfers: https://support.wix.com/en/article/transferring-a-domain-purchased-elsewhere-to-wix
- WordPress Domain Mapping: https://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/map-existing-domain/
- Squarespace Domain Transfer: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206542037
If you registered a domain name for your site (e.g., if you bought yourname.com as a way for people to access your site, in addition to yourname.domains.trincoll.edu), send a request to email@example.com asking her to unlock your domain, turn privacy protect off, and send you the transfer EPP code. These three items are required in order to initiate a successful domain transfer.
If you manage or maintain a domain for a Trinity club or group, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org before you graduate so that we can transfer ownership of the site.