Trinity Domains all starts with a domain name: [the name you pick].domains.trincoll.edu. This domain name will represent you to the wider world, so its worth having a think about it.
(Technical interlude: actually, you’re signing up for a subdomain: trincoll.edu is the main domain, domains.trincoll.edu is a subdomain of trincoll.edu, and [the name you pick].domains.trincoll.edu is a subdomain of *that*. This is all part of the Domain Name System that governs how internet servers talk with one another. However, as we’ll see elsewhere in the documentation, you can buy any available domain name you want and point it at your Trinity Domains subdomain.
Beginning this process is straightforward:
- Go to https://domains.trincoll.edu and click the Get Started button.
- You’ll be presented with a login screen: use your normal Trinity username and password.
- If it’s your first time doing this, you will be invited to choose your subdomain.
That’s it! Trinity Domains will do some work behind the scenes, and you’ll be taken to the dashboard that lets you control your site.
- Can I make further subdomains off my site, such as classes.myname.domains.trincoll.edu? Yes.
- Can I make directories off my site, such as myname.domains.trincoll.edu/portfolio/? Yes.
- Can I buy a domain name and point it at my subdomain? Yes.